ASSITEJ has released application information for the Next Generation Program in Cape Town! Since applicants submit directly through the link below, please contact us if you do apply (and if you are selected).
Next Generation Programme at 2017 ASSITEJ World Congress
The Next Generation Programme is an ASSITEJ initiative designed to support artistic and cultural exchange and collaboration between international artists aged 36 years or below, at ASSITEJ events. A Residency programme for 25 artists from the African continent and around the world will be held in Cape Town over the period of the Cradle of Creativity (19th ASSITEJ World Congress and Performing Arts Festival) from 17-27 May 2017.
The NG Residency programme at Cradle of Creativity will include:
- Theatre for young audiences’ performances by companies from Africa and the rest of the world
- Master classes and workshop sessions led by recognized artists and industry professionals
- Discussions, seminars and workshops around intercultural exchange, as well as the opportunity to explore some of the focus areas of the Congress which include: Storytelling and theatre, Music theatre for Young Audiences, Dance theatre for Young Audiences, Theatre for the Early Years, Theatre for Social Change, Theatre for Healing, Theatre by children for children, and Inclusive theatre
- Opportunities to experience South African culture and arts practice on the ground
- Opportunities to engage with and join both the Next Generation Network and ASSITEJ.
ASSITEJ SA will provide:
- Basic shared accommodation for 10 nights
- All registration, theatre tickets, seminars, and access to workshops
- Food or per-diems
- Facilitation of the programme in partnership with Next Generation Network
Next Generation participants are expected to fundraise for their own travel to the event. However, Next Generation applicants who are accepted to the programme can apply for a partial travel grant from ASSITEJ, amounting to up to 500 USD per person. The number of travel grants is limited and dependent on funds raised through Friends of ASSITEJ. As an inclusive programme, Next Generation encourages applications from deaf artists and artists with disabilities.
- 30 September 2016 – Deadline for applications for programme
- 1 November 2016 – Announcement of successful applicants
- 10 November 2016 – Acceptance of offer by applicants
- 1 January 2017 – Deadline for applications for travel grant
- 30 January 2017 – Announcement of successful travel grant