2017-2018 Properties Master (10 Month Contract)
TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through four primary programs:
- TCT MainStage – We welcome 107,000 children, teachers, and family members from across the region, to one of our four family-friendly and professional musical theatre productions at the historic Taft Theatre.
- TCT On Tour – We see over 47,000 children and their families at one of our touring performances or during an arts-integration workshop or residency.
- TCT Academy – Over 750 children will be provided fine arts instruction, including the group that participates in summer intensive STAR summer programs through which we offer professional musical theatre training to some of the region’s most talented youth.
- TCT Showtime Series – Our newest division, creating a premium theatrical experience in an intimate theatrical setting, located at our new facility on Red Bank Road.
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theater in children and the young at heart.
- We believe in the power of theater to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
- We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
- We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
- We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
- We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The 2017-2018 Season Properties Master will assist the organization in fulfilling its mission of educating, entertaining and engaging audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. The Properties Master will be directly responsible for researching, designing, developing, and otherwise obtaining all props and rehearsal props for TCT MainStage, Showtime, and TCT on Tour divisions in collaboration with directors and stage managers of the productions, and the designated scenic designer of each show. The Properties Master is also responsible for any prop needs associated with promotional appearances and photo shoots.
The Properties Master will report directly to the Technical Director, and will be responsible for maintaining and organizing future additions to our property stock.
Much of the props required for TCT on Tour can be pulled from our stock, located in our scenic shop facility in St. Bernard. The ideal candidate will have experience creatively blending existing stock with their own design, building props from scratch, and purchasing creative solutions to satisfy the director’s vision.
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati Properties Master’s duties include the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Creating or otherwise obtaining props and rehearsal props for all MainStage, Showtime, and Touring Productions.
- Shopping for necessary materials
- Working with power tools
- Altering existing props to fit the director’s vision
- Transporting props to and from the shop or renting company, rehearsal studio, and performance location. (Please note Taft Load-in dates for MainStage)
- Repairing damaged props as necessary
- Tracking a materials budget and promptly turning in receipts
- Creating a master prop matrix for each show with Stage Management Team
- Reading and responding to rehearsal reports in a timely manner
- Ability to produce within a given deadline and in adherence with the production schedule
- Building relationships with other arts organizations, share prop stock
- Working knowledge of electrics and implementing electronic functions
- Must have a background in carpentry, wood-working and welding
- Artistic painting experience
- Sewing, hemming, and upholstery skills
Systems and Operations:
The TCT Properties Master will have access to tools, stock, and facility use in our Scenic Shop, located in St Bernard, as well as space in our facility on Red Bank Road.
The TCT Properties Master will have access to a tax-exempt form and a company credit card for purchases.
The TCT Properties Master will have access to use a TCT van, to transport items to and from the performance venue. Contractor must schedule the van with the Operations Manager. If the van is unavailable, the Properties Master may need to use their own mode of transportation. Per TCT policy, a $.40 per mile reimbursement will be in effect between a TCT location and a third party location.
TCT locations include: our headquarters on Red Bank Road, our scene shop in St. Bernard, and Downtown at the Taft Theatre.
Third party locations include: retail locations, rental pick-up locations, or donation pick-up locations.
TCT does not reimburse for miles to or from the contractor’s home and any location, or between two TCT locations. The contractor must keep a detailed log of mileage.
The TCT Properties Master is covered under worker compensation.
The TCT Properties Master position is treated as a contractor and is paid a stipend.
The TCT Properties Master contract begins August 1st 2017. The Properties Master must be available for production meetings prior to and during the rehearsal process, technical and dress rehearsals as assigned, and to meet the following deadlines for completed show designs: (Note: rehearsal props should be present by first blocking rehearsal and final performance props are due by load-in or first dress.)
- The Cat in the Hat (Tour): Rehearses August 7st-18th, 2017
- Young Abe Lincoln (Tour): Rehearses August 21st-September 2nd, 2017
- Peter Pan Jr (MainStage): Rehearses September 18th-October 20th, 2017 (Taft Load in October 16th, Load out October 30th)
- Cinderella (MainStage): Rehearses November 5th– December 8th, 2017 (Taft Load in December 4th, Load-out December 18th) NOTE: Cinderella requires a partial prop rental with The Children’s Theatre Company in Minneapolis.
- Celebrate the Season (Tour): Rehearses November 8th– 22nd, 2017
- Maya: A Writer’s Legacy (Tour): Rehearsals January 2nd– 12th, 2018
- DreamWorks Madagascar (MainStage): Rehearses January 8th-February 9th, 2018 (Taft Load in February 5th, Load out February 19th)
- Polkadots (Showtime Series): Rehearses February 5th-21st, 2018 (Strike: March 26th)
- Mary Poppins Jr. (MainStage): Rehearses March 5th – April 6th, 2018 (Taft Load in April 2nd, Load out April 16th)
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications:
Education Level – Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent work experience.
- A generous 10-month stipend of $22,000 will be paid to the contractor.
- Contractor will be paid bi-monthly on the 1st and 15th of each month beginning August 15th, 2017 and ending May 31st, 2018. $21,492 will be divided into 18 payments of $1,194.00. A final payment of $508.00 will be paid upon strike of all TCT on Tour props on May 31st, 2018.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume, with any work samples to email@example.com. Please use the subject: “PROPERTY MASTER SUBMISSION”