Reports to: Artistic Director ♦ Classification: Full-time, year-round
Children’s Theatre of Charlotte (CTC), one of the nation’s largest, fully producing professional theatre companies for youth, is seeking a Production Manager (PM) to lead and manage CTC’s production staff in support of all CTC programs.
With a production budget of $1.6 million and organizational budget of over $5 million, CTC serves nearly 300,000 young people and families in the Charlotte region and is dedicated to creating vibrant and engaging theatre experiences, both on the stage and in the classroom. Performances are presented in the McColl Family Theatre (550 seats) and the Wells Fargo Playhouse (270 seats) at the ImaginOn facility, which also houses a full library for children and youth. CTC mounts 10 full-scale productions for public and school audiences each season, presents 2-3 guest artists each season, and provides theatre education programming at ImaginOn and multiple satellite locations. CTC employs professional adult actors and, in one to two shows per season, also includes youth actors in the cast. In addition, CTC’s Resident Touring Company tours regionally throughout the Southeast.
Children’s Theatre of Charlotte (CTC) is seeking an experienced PM to join our team.
The PM collaborates with designers to insure the artistic vision of each production remains within the available resources of time, budget and personnel. This person ensures clear communication with other departments as well as contributes to strategic planning for the organization. Additionally, in our shared facility of ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center, the candidate will coordinate library and public use of the ImaginOn theatre spaces and act as a facility liaison to CML at ImaginOn.
This is a full time, salaried, benefit eligible, year round position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director to create and manage $1.6 million Production budget.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director on staffing and policy issues.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Director of Finance to track the production budget through the fiscal year.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director to contract designers, directors, musicians and choreographers.
- Oversee scheduling, staffing, and budgeting of all aspects of show production.
- Supervise and evaluate 12 full-time production staff.
- Oversee, monitor and evaluate design process of all shows.
- Work with designers to creatively solve all technical and financial challenges.
- Realize designs on time and budget.
- Manage, monitor and approve all production related expenses.
- Lead production meetings and attend technical and dress rehearsals and previews.
- Ensure production shops and rehearsal studios are up to date and in good working order and makes capital improvement purchase recommendations and procures material.
- Develop and maintain the master production calendar for CTC. Coordinates with staff of ImaginOn on all other non-CTC events.
- Serve as the liaison to the Education Department to assist with their production needs.
- Supervise the relationship between the staff and designers.
- Coordinate all facility rentals with the library staff.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Minimum 4-5 years progressive work experience with at least two years experience as PM preferred.
- Has a working knowledge of production and design of stagecraft, sound, lights, costumes and props, projections and videography.
- Has knowledge of OSHA and safety regulations.
- Bachelor Degree in theatre and/or equivalent professional work experience as a PM.
- Experience in the planning, creation and management of production department expense budget.
- Experience required in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience preferred in AutoCad and Vectorworks.